Abstract for NYT Science Section Summary & Response

In this section, I include the NYT Science Section Summary & Response First and Final Draft and my peer review of a few of my classmates’ NYT Science Section Summary & Responses. In my essay, I explore two articles from the New York Times Science section: “Blurred Vision, Burning Eyes: This Is a Lasik Success?” by Roni Caryn Rabin, and “Social Media Use Is Linked to Brain Changes in Teens, Research Finds” by Ellen Barry. The first article reveals the truth about Lasik eye surgery, shedding light on potential dangers and harmful consequences. Rabin shares patient testimonies that expose severe discomfort, vision disturbances, and psychological impacts associated with the procedure. The second article investigates the effects of social media on the developing brains of teenagers. Barry discusses a study conducted by Dr. Maza, which demonstrates the link between social media usage and changes in brain functions, particularly in response to social feedback. Throughout the essay, the authors’ perspectives, research findings, limitations, and expert opinions are examined, providing readers with a comprehensive understanding of the topics at hand.